Monday, December 19, 2011

PURRFECT SPOTS - The story continues...

The Cat - Life with Casey...........
We drove to Enterprise AL where we had called ahead to make hotel reservations for us and veterinarian reservations for our cats. I am so glad we did. We were part of the lucky ones as we had evacuated very early and gotten ahead of the crowd on the roads. This is a very smart idea, particularly when you are traveling with pets.

People begin showing up all day long at the motel as we were all trying to escape the wrath of this horrible hurricane. That afternoon the rain started, then the winds kicked in and howled all night long. We lost power in the motel around 5:30pm. It was awful! We were over 100 miles inland and it was absolutely unbelievable. You can imagine what I thought about Casey being there all by himself  right on the coast where it was coming ashore. I was frantic as there was absolutely nothing I could do except pray and I sure did a lot of that. It was a very long night.

The next morning it was still rainy and windy. No power in the city of Enterprise. All the trees around the motel were down. Power lines down, damage to structures. It wasn't a pretty sight. We all wondered what we would find when we arrived home. I called the Sheriff's department in our county and actually got through. I told him where we lived and could he give us any information regarding that area. He said most of the houses had been destroyed and the gulf had come over the highway in several areas - even washed a house in the middle of the road. My heart sank. What about Casey?

We headed home just to assess the damage later that morning and these are some of the sights we saw as we were coming into our neighborhood.
The local gas station a couple of miles from our house!
 The remains of a house about a mile from our house.

Another house in the same area!

I was very upset. What would I find when I returned home? That will be in the next chapter.











1 comment:

  1. Talk about cliff hangers! It's hard waiting for the rest of this suspenseful story. - The devastation was awful! I'm so sorry for everyone who lost so much.

    ReplyDelete